(to listen to the mix, just press the play icon above)
Barely as week has gone by since I finally published my September mix, I swore I wouldn't be late with my October mix, and here it is. Luckily, I've been building this mix since October 1st, so it wasn't all that difficult. It's funny how sometimes these mixes just make themselves. One may wonder why I do this and to be honest, I don't really know. I guess I just like the idea of a soundtrack for the month, a snapshot into what's been in the background while life quickly passes me by. This month was filled with long work hours, a week of controlled chaos, and the desperate attempt to get back to a rested, established base. Luckily, I think I got to where I needed to be.
1. "What is Life" - George Harrison - As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate George Harrison way more than previously. Bolstered by the HBO documentary about him, I "re-discovered" this song and fell in love with it all over again
2. "(I Wanna Live In A Dream In My) Record Machine - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Say what you will about the controversial former half of the Oasis boys, I welcomed this new record and found myself enjoying several tracks, such as this one.
3. "Wonder Years" - Real Estate - I'll admit it, I was drawn to this song due to the title and memories of the amazing TV show.
4. "Through The Dirt and Gravel" - We Were Promised Jetpacks - I love it when I a band I discovered years ago starts to get the attention they deserve. We Were Promised Jetpacks was one of those bands I discovered purely for having a great band name, and sure enough, they've delivered a great new record.
5. "All In Your Head" - Quicksand - I don't think any musician has dominated my listening this year more than Walter Schriefels (maybe Bob Mould). This month I came across a treasure trove of old, unreleased Quicksand songs, including this one and I just can't get enough.
6. "Blue Boy" - Texas Is the Reason - I love it when you completely forget about a song and rediscover it. In this case, this song was a split 7" TITR released back in 1995. I have it on vinyl, but finally got it on MP3 and I'm glad I did.
7. "Ballroom Blitz" - Buzzcocks - One of my all time favorite songs by a legendary band? Sign me up.
8. "Raconte-Moi Une Historie" - M83 - I really struggled with what song from the new M83 double album to put on this mix. I had like 4 other choices before I realized, even though this song is silly fun, it's my absolutely favorite.
9. "Je Ne Te Connais Pas" - The Prototypes - I'm a sucker for french pop. I don't know why.
10. "I Love You Ono" - Stereo Total - This song was introduced to me by a new friend and it's absolutely infectious.
11. "Deceptacon" - Le Tigre - The un-official anthem soundtrack to the party we threw in NYC and forever immortalized by the double play at said party and the fun we had there.
12. "True Faith" - New Order - The thing I love about New Order is how years and years go by and the songs seem to get better with age.
13. "Mutal Core" - Bjork - somewhere in the late 1990s, I became a Bjork fan. Each album gets weirder and weirder, but there's always one track I become obsessed with. From her new record, this is the one for me.